Around The World In More Than 80 Days

Monday, June 26, 2006

I have failed blogging. If this was a class in school, my grade would be a solid D- because at least I did write a few blogs. Here I am today, my last day in South America, about three months past where my last blog entry left off. What have I missed on explaining? Oh, not much, just South Africa, Argentina, and a month of traveling through Brazil.

It feels strange to be leaving and returning to a world where I don´t have to worry about asking for help on the street or in a store and first having to formulate my question in another language. I am a bit sad about that actually. It is a challenge to make yourself understood in a foreign language, but the the bonus is that when you succeed, you not only get the help you were looking for but also a little bit of self congratulations as well.

If I have taken anything away with me from Brazil, it is the complete belief that Brazilians love football and raise their football stars to the level of deities. And that Ronaldhino is not pronounced, Ronaldino as one might think, but instead, Honyalgino, due to Portuguese´s devil may care attitude toward the science of phonetics.

Traveling alone for the past month has been a wonderful experience. Leaving Buenos Aires on the 30th of May I was very worried about being on my own, going from place to place to place, keeping safe and happy, but I have found that all of my worries were needless. Travelers are, by their nature, curious and open and friendly people, and some of my best experiences of the past six months would be taken from nights spent in the company of strangers who are friends for a little while, there to share ideas and interests and advice. Only when traveling can you strike up a conversation with someone for two hours and get to the end of it feeling as if you are with a good friend while never learning their name. There is so much I have learned from people I have met along the way, the knowledge gained from people is more direct than that culled from places visited, but both are so valuable.

I can only say that from now on I will try not to be so ambitious in my update and will keep things simple and sweet so that readers will have a more gratifying time reading my blog!

Until then, luck and love,
Nornabelle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home